composer of the year
The Sioux City Symphony Orchestra is committed to the education, development, and promotion of American composers. The SCSO Composer of the Year Competition is designed to annually highlight one, talented composer who is currently in the early stages of their professional career.
In addition to a one-thousand US dollars ($1,000.00) monetary prize, the SCSO’s Composer of the Year will receive a premiere performance by the Sioux City Symphony, press/media coverage, scheduled lectures at selected local colleges and universities, and involvement in a variety of other community-related outreach programs.
- Applicants must be US Citizens in the early stages of their professional career.
- Submitted work may not have received a performance or a reading by a professional orchestra. (school/conservatory performances do not count as professional readings/performances.
- Work should be five (5) to fifteen (15) minutes in length.
- Not eligible are concertos, choral works, and works for winds/brass only.
(works for strings only will be accepted)
- Instrumentation must not exceed:
2 fl [1.2/pic] , 2 ob [ 1.2/eh], 2 cl [1.2/bcl], 2 bsn [1.2/cbn], 4 hn, 2 tp, timp +1, pf/cel, str
- Score must be submitted in PDF format
- One (1) computer-generated score of a work written within the last five (5) years
- A recording is required (MIDI is acceptable)
- One (1) current curriculum vitae that includes applicants current address, telephone number, email address, and proof of US Citizenship
- A short bio of the composer in PDF format (150 words max)
- A brief description of the work and notes detailing performance history if any, including all dates and names of performing ensembles.
- Entry Fee of Twenty-Five US dollars ($25.00) payable via PayPal.com link below
The Sioux City Symphony Orchestra is not currently accepting entries for Composer of the Year due to COVID-19. This page will be updated when we re-open the process for entries.
PAST COMPOSER OF THE YEAR WINNERS
SCSO Live is the live streaming app for the Sioux City Symphony Orchestra in Sioux City, Iowa. Watch live performances of our upcoming season, view EXCLUSIVE streaming only content and bonus videos, and learn more about music from our musicians and educators!
Plan Your Visit
There’s a lot to think about when you’re planning a visit to one of our live performances at the Orpheum. That’s why we’ve compiled this handy information for you—all in one place!